Thursday, June 3, 2010

Teaser Thursday



I know that it has been a while since you have heard anything from me regarding updates. I'm a fail author, what can I say?

I haven't been with it these past few months, and for that I apologize. I don't have a lot of readers, but those who do read, I am very grateful for it. I can't begin to tell you how much your comments and love, even recs, mean to me.

While I'm writing these stories to please myself, and my personal taste, I hope that some of you find something that you love about them, too.

Under the cut is a teaser to each of the things I'm working on, including the new stuff! Most of you already know about the all-human fic that I'm writing titled Screaming Color. There is also a bit of The Red Hourglass, the Darkella one-shot that I'm writing. And as always, Horde and LEL make an appearance. I hope you have a wonderful Thursday, and a great weekend! If you have any questions, let me know. I'll keep you posted on when I'll be updating on Twitter.

♥ - Raggdoll


 -- Chapter 9: A Curse Most Retched --
• • •

It was a horrible thing, this place. I didn’t know whether to scream or babble like an insane idiot, but either option was mind-numbing. The past couple of days were considerably better than the first, if that is even possible. At least, no one has tried to eat me.

Jasper, as promised, was there whenever my roommates and I had to be moved. I don’t know what came over me, but I went along with the shuffled movements that the line I stood in made. I mostly kept to myself in and out of the room, except when I was spoken to, though I only wanted to be left alone. I ate my meals, brushed my teeth, and did what was asked of me, like a “good little human” (that’s what I overheard them saying).

It was pointless to fight. Edward had shown me that. I felt like a scolded child, a child whose mother was disappointed in them, rather than upset which is worse. But I knew I held an advantage. None of them seemed to be interested in me, except the one that I hated most of all. I never saw him the past couple of days, but it was as though I could feel his eyes on me. I felt the same spine-tingling chill ran through my body when I woke in his room a few mornings ago; that same eeriness.

I never wanted to admit it, but I favored Jasper over any of them. I preferred to have him around me, even though he was just as cruel. But he offered me a gift that I couldn’t refuse. His power wouldn’t take my thoughts away from me, just the intense feeling of that shook me when I refused to let go and simply exist with the rest of the women. I was happy to be rid of the stress for five minutes. 

• • • • •
-- Chapter 5:  A Human Counterpart --
• • •

“Something is missing,” Edward said as his fingers bounced along the book spines on the shelf. Without looking he pulled one out then took a peek at its interior. It didn’t amuse him. He tossed it over his shoulder and it landed with a loud, shuffled thump on the floor.

He continued to walk down the parallel lines of the bookcases, his fingers always on the old columns. He pulled out another, took a peek, and then tossed it over his shoulder once again. “I can’t quite put my finger on it.”


They were always found.

Two books flew off the shelf by his hands. They soared across the library and hit the wall with an astounding thud. The scent of the old books – centuries old paper and the crisp, metallic ink – soared from the rustling pages.

He un-characteristically allowed his eyes to close for a long moment while he paced. His fingertips dragged on one of the glass casings that contained one of his favorite specimens. He stopped and turned to the preserved head; its obsidian pigment his salvation against the dull ache of repetition.

He stared for a long moment. “Perhaps a favorite?” He seemed to ask the article.

“Yes,” he chanted to himself repeatedly as the thick heels of his shoes collided with the floor. He pulled the book from its rightful place among his collection and he held it up high above his head with a full smile. “A favorite, gentlemen!”

The title on the spine was faded, its gold flecks a reminder of what once was.

Dracula.
• • • • •





-- A Darkella one-shot -- 
 • • •

Hammers and nails. A breath of illustration. The moonlight against his skin. It paints a beautiful picture in her mind. Blood has tainted the blue, but it is her favorite color. She loves wearing red. She loves seeing it pinned against the iron will of her victims because it is not their choice, it is hers. She has the control – the power. She loves having power.
His pupils widen and his chest is stricken as she finds a pace in the small room, finding a way to cause his heart to race. A slow, steady rapping coerces his breath to quicken and for a moment it staggers, a brief interrupt from a moan of displeasure into the barrier at his mouth. 
She doesn’t want him to speak yet.



• • • • •
-- Excerpt from prologue --
(If you want to know more about this fic, you can check it out a few posts down on my blog. This is my first all-human fic, and while it may seem angsty and heart wrenching it is considerably lighter than my previous. I'm very excited to write this one.)
• • •

Time has slowed yet life remains the same. In the turbulence of these past few days comes a new form of life, one that she has not known. She feels it now as she stands under the bare, blue sky. It is misery that has faltered her, and death that has given it. It is not something that she understands. She simply is. 


It is nearly noon this day of July. The Phoenix air agrees. The black material of her blouse clings to her body where perspiration has formed. The dry air penetrates into her lungs, causing her thirst to flare against the strain of her tears. Not far away, under a tree a squirrel gathers a kernel, proof that life continues even after death has come and gone.  

• • • • •

7 comments:

  1. OMG, I don't think I could be more excited for these updates! And the banners... your simply a genius! When I grow up I want to write like you. True fact.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe, thank you, Samie!! You really don't want to write like me... I have to wait for it, which can be tiresome and painful. Blah.

    I'm so happy to hear that you're excited for the updates! I am too, and hopefully I'll be able to get chapter 5 of LEL posted soon, so everything else can come out. haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Lions Eat Lambs Edward. He's dark but he thinks hes normal which make his dark fun to read.He's like the cliche "Crazy people don't know there crazy..."

    The Red Hourglass sounds like its going to be one for the win column, i can't wait to read it.

    You've made creepy an art form. Excellent job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Equi! That is def. part of Edward's fun, he thinks his behavior is completely normal. I *love* it when people just GET the characters, ya know? lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait for Lions Eat Lambs and The House of the Horde to be updated. And for these new ones to be posted, they look awesome. I love the way you write. I'm definitely a fan of the darker stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. AWESOME!! Life is unexpected and it comes in twists and turns but we all hang on for the joy and hate of the ride. Keep on keeping women. I really love all your stories and I can't wait fore more :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. How do you do the under the cut thing?

    ReplyDelete