Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Kingdom of Rust • Chapter 13 Teaser


CHAPTER 13: The World Ends With You


“How long did you know about us? Were you watching, waiting for the right moment?”
She shook her head violently, panicked. 
“Then why did you come?!” The question echoed through the trees and across the water. My arm wavered, exhausted, but I righted it, keeping the barrel of the gun at her forehead. I couldn't remember the moment I became so incredibly angry at her. When she didn't answer me I asked once more, "Why did you come?" I spoke slower, harsher, deeper as though it would convince her to respond.
She doubled over with a sob, dropping to her knees as though yielding. My weapon followed. Her gaze climbed the barrel of my pistol, eyes alive and glistening before tears plummeted from her lids. "I didn't know," she finally said. The words barely stood above a whisper against the morning life of the forest.
Such a simple declaration should've meant nothing to me. She should've meant nothing, but that moment tore me in two. I wanted to apologize. I wanted to kill her. I wanted to hold her. I wanted her to walk away and leave me alone forever.  
“Jasper was right about one thing," I said, disappointed in myself for not seeing it sooner. "You’re a great fisher, Bella. I’ll give you that.”

1 comment: