Friday, January 20, 2012

Copycats.



All this talk of a fic that has swept a quarter of the Twi fan-fic community has me kinda down and confused.

Remember House of the Horde, that little fic I was writing but put on hold?

Well according to the talk, the fic in question (the popular one) has the same terrain that HotH has. I'm not talking about one or two elements, I'm talking about two or three sub-plots and a few character traits. I'm curious, now, if I should completely change the direction I was going with my fic because I don't want to the story to seem like a copy-cat of another.

While I generally want people to enjoy what I write, I write for myself first. I don't want to put out something that I'll be un-happy with later, but for the first time I'm questioning this. Do I change my original (but apparently not so original) plot/sub-plot to keep the "OMG SHE COPIED SO-AND-SO" at bay, or do I continue on like none of this ever happened?

I'm very unsure of what to do since I'm riding in unfamiliar territory.


7 comments:

  1. I say you keep going. You started posting HotH a long time ago, there is no reason for anyone to think that you copied from someone else. Also, anyone who has read your stuff would know that you are creative enough not to need the ideas of others to write your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Liv, for taking a moment to read and leave me some input. I'm definitely taking what you said into consideration -- the fact that I started the story some time back and it might not have an effect on those who read it from the start. I'm just worried about being singled out as someone who would copy another fan-fic author. I certainly don't want that. People break out nooses for shit like that, and I rather like my neck. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take into consideration that the publish date is clearly visible on your own story. Write the story how you see it. I've been reading your work for a long time, your stories are incredible, and I feel that if someone accuses you of idea stealing...
    They better not bring a noose to a gun fight, lol.
    (was that creepy? *eyes last statement* it wasnt meant to be creepy)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey bb,
    Checking in with you. Could've sworn I wrote a comment devoting myself to proving you're the intellectual owner of this storyline but alas it's not here. Still waiting waiting waiting hoping that you start on House of the Horde. Love this story. It can only be told with your voice. Hope to "see" you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. lol Equivamp. Your comments are never creepy, just delightfully entertaining.

    I appreciate all the advice, and sorry for the late reply. I don't even check my own blog anymore, it appears. >_>

    After reading all the advice that everybody has been so willing to give, I'll be continuing House of the Horde with no changes. The other story in question is complete, and I've found that while there are similar elements between HotH and this other fic (some of which haven't made an appearance in HotH yet), there are more differences that will set them apart.

    Thank you for the advice. Y'all are great!

    ReplyDelete