Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Lost in Translucent Thoughts


"I put my heart and soul into my work and have lost my mind in the process."
- Vincent van Gogh

(This is going to be random...)



I believe that Vincent van Gogh said it right. He was an exquisite artist and may have been a little nuts towards the end (I mean the guy put a bullet in his brain for God's sake), but I feel that when you pour everything you have into something it will eventually suck the life out of you. This can either be good or bad and only you can determine which it becomes. There are some people that have already fallen off their rocker before they even put their everything into something. ::raises hand:: But like I've always said, "Happiness deters my brilliance". 

And seriously, it's true. When have you ever met a sane writer or artist? 

In June, 2009, I started writing on a whim because I had an idea and I wanted to write it down. After I wrote the first chapter of The Parahgon (intentionally spelled with an 'H'), I wondered what other people would think of it, so I posted it on a well-known Twilight fan site. Of course it was a fan fiction, so I was using characters that didn't belong to me so the development wasn't really there. But the entire point of the story was to find an alternative outlet that pleased people. And I hate to toot my own horn but I feel that The Parahgon did that for some. On the outside, it is a supernatural romance (where have we heard this before, hm) between a girl and a muse/angel-like creature. But this is truly a story about hope and the light at the end of the tunnel popping up when you least expect it and overcoming obstacles that may get in the way.

People need stories like that.   

So after discovering this strange need to write and after doing so, I became hooked and so did other people. I received a ton of responses from readers who loved the story and praised my writing. Man, did it feel good that people actually enjoyed my stuff and it became an addiction for me. I become elated when I receive a new review and someone says they are enjoying the story, even more so now than when I first started.

With this new story I started on, House of the Horde, I'm tredging in waters that even I'm uncertain. I know how I want it to end and I've even written some of it but the issue is, I'm uncertain how people will react to it. Generally the consensus is "omgwtfrudoingtome" and for a supernatural/thriller/suspense story I suppose that is a good thing. I just want to make sure it's a great story that will take someone away even if it is a little angsty and, for the lack of a better term, dark. Because even though we need beautiful stories that are full of romance and hope, we need a little dose of malice and acrimony every once in a while to remind us of our wide range of emotions. 

Even though I feel I've lost my mind a long time ago (children have a tendency to turn their parents insane), I feel like I'm becoming lost in darker stories that tweak the forbidden recess of my mind but no worries...I have breadcrumbs...




1 comment:

  1. Super intense. I loved "The Parahgon" It was an amazing story and I can't wait for you to get it published. I am also a ready of your House of Horde fan fiction and I can't get enough. Sometimes we all need a little dark in twisted to get us out of our own lives ;)

    ReplyDelete